Monday, February 12, 2007


The yarn to continue my Bavarian Cardi won't arrive for a while so I've cast on for Kaffe Fassett's Brocade from Rowan Magazine 38 (which I got for christmas!). I am such a big fan of Rowan Magazines and this is my first copy. Like many many people I think the magazines are over styled and I often have trouble figuring out *what* exactly I'm looking at ie which part of the outfit is the knitted article. I also think they are ridiculously priced.
Oh, but gosh, they're pretty!
I drop a lot of money on magazines each month and think that if Rowan Magazines were priced as, say, architecture or some fine arts magazines are, I would pick them up even if I didn't knit. hint hint
.
I also received Rowan's "Vintage Style". Both came from Gwin Gryffon, one of my favourite places in Downtown Kingston. Soooo beautiful. It's impeccably styled by Kim Hargreaves herself, which I thought was v.impressive. Also v.impressive is the delightful 'Charlie'. Charlie is a man who knows how to wear a sweater. I think it's something you're born with. Charlie is also a hat person. Two for Two. I shall need to find a Charlie2 before I move to the country, knit everything in this book (from my own sheep that Charlie2 tends to), and live in what the locals refer to as 'the manor' where I make assorted spiked jams and jellies in pumps and heavy circle skirts. That's me smouldering behind Charlie2. He forgot to feed Peregrine Took the Alpaca again, and he hasn't even noticed the Tyrollean details or embroidery on my Sweater. Even in my fantasies Men are useless about some things.


Sans Charlie 1 or 2, I will be spending Valentine's Day trudging up to Le Marchant St Thomas where I'm teaching a lunchtime knitting course. We began last week and are going to have lots of fun! Everyone has knit before, so we will be tackling some things I didn't think we'd get to; cables, intarsia, circular knitting...yeehaw!
I think it will be a perfectly acceptable way to spend Valentine's...although if I were to fall in love again on the way there...well that would be nice too. He just better notice my sweater.

Soundtrack: "Deep Henderson", King Oliver And His Dixie Syncopators

3 comments:

Megan said...

I LOVE that Brocade sweater. It will look fabulous on you - it just screams "Morgan!"

Anonymous said...

I too regard the stylish knitting mags as a bit of a guilty pleasure. But I love Kaffe Fassett. And the Brocade pattern. Are you using the same colours and yarn as pictured? Can't wait to see your progress.

Have a great class on St. V's day!

Amanda said...

I seem to have read somewhere that the georgous brocade sweater has no shape to it, and does not turn out looking like the model in the pic ...just thought you might like a little heads up before you got too far into it. It is beautiful though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...