Monday, April 18, 2011

My Art Deco Sweater



I designed this using my Duct Tape Judy. I didn’t realise that she has broader shoulders than I.

photo courtesy NSCAD, Halifax

After months of depression I concluded that without the heart to reknit the arm and shoulder shaping, I would have to fiddle. Call it a nod to Make Do & Mend. The shoulders are cinched in using a twined length of the project yarn (Inca Gold from Berroco) tied in bows. I like it for now; it's so very period. I may try this trick on old cashmere sweaters that are maybe a little too big. No shoulder pads were used which was a bit of a disappointment as I'm writing a epic tutorial on puffs and padding.



The stitch pattern was found in Barbra Walker’s Second Treasury; “Fancy Chevrons”. The slip stitch pattern uses garter stitch bumps which really show off the yarn. It has a sheen to it and shows texture well.

Although I made up the body, the sleeve shape was lifted and reworked from “When Your Off Duty”, a jumper from the V&A’s war-time pattern collection.


photo courtesy Victoria & Albert Museum, originally published in Woman's Weekly July 1943

Reworking the '40s instructions from a 4ply jumper weight to a modern worsted weight yarn, with gauge given without a row gauge and for a lace stitch pattern, where I was using a ribbed section of the pattern made charting these sleeves a puzzle but, I have to admit, pretty fun.



A ribbed sleeve is a mysterious thing, especially when a puff or peak is intended. If I do re-knit the shoulder/armseye, then I will treat the head of the sleeve properly. It should be blocked and set into shape, perhaps over a lightbulb, and it may need to be supported by padding.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Betwixt and between.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...